The one thing that we have joked about with our stay here in Honduras is that we have had about everything happen to us....fires, strikes, riots. The only thing that we have not had was a Military Coup!!! Not anymore. We woke up this morning to the sound of jets flying overheard...no electricity and news reports of the arrest of the President of Honduras. The Church leadership was certainly prepared...the decision had already been made not to hold any meetings today. The missionaries have been on alert for about 3 days. They have been told to get water and food ready and to be prepared to stay indoors.
The local people that we have associated with have for the most part looked forward to this. They were worried that President Zelaya was headed for a dictatorship. They are hoping to keep their democracy.
For those of you with loved ones here...please be calm and realize that things are okay. We have had contact with several of our missionaries, and of course President Gomez is staying on top of things. His family is still staying in the Marriott...and they have a birdseye view of what is happening in the streets. We are just sitting in our apartment!
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Can I just say that you and Wayne are my new heros. And I say that in all seriousness. I am proud to be your cousin knowing how much you guys have given up to serve the Lord. Our prayers are with you as well as my admiration. Thanks for setting such a terrific example for the family.
Our prayers are with you, and with the people of Honduras...Kathi
Thank you as always for your reassuring words. Scott and I are at our cabin in Canada without access to news or daily internet. I'm trying to follow things but it's a bit frustrating. I appreciated your information on how prepared the church leaders were to keep our missionaries safe. Elder Mears also said to ask you for a name of a Hotel that is close to the office. Could you email me the name and possibly the phone number so I can contact them. Actually email Scott since he is the one fluent in Spanish. scottmears@comcast.net Thanks so much. If we don't hear from you we will stay at the Marriott. Thanks again for all you do for our boys.
Post a Comment