Sunday, August 17, 2008

OUR FIRST BAPTISM

Before the Baptism


We were able to attend our first baptism. It was in a town about 1 1/2 hours from Tegucigalpa. We drove with President and Sister Gomez and the head of security for our area from Salt Lake City. The people were so excited when we arrived. They were all waiting outside for us because the electricity was down so there was no power in the building and it was rather warm. The branch president was so embarrassed because he couldn't get the iron to work to iron his white shirt. He had just come from work and had planned on ironing the shirt at the chapel. It was so great to see him worry about looking the part.

Elder and Sister Rivera and their convert family


There is a senior couple assigned to this area named Elder and Sister Rivera. They are here from Guatemala. This is so rare here. They are fantastic missionaries and had four converts ready for baptism...a grandfather, his son and daughter-in-law, and grandson. It was wonderful to see a family with three generations involved embracing the gospel. The baptism was attended by a full chapel of church members. When we went into the building we saw a room full of bikes. These bikes were how the converts got to the church...each one of them had their own to ride home. Four of our missionaries sang a hymn (Teach me to Walk in the Light) acapella. It was great.

Elders Gomez, Altan, Davis and Gomez

I met two Young Women who attached themselves to me. The first was a girl about 12-13. She carried a hymnbook, the Strength of Youth booklet, and her Personal Progress book. She offered to share her hymnbook with me. As we started the hymn, I realized that the song she had opened to and the song we were singing we not the same. I soon realized that she could not read. I began to think about what will happen to her with no education and no opportunity. She will probably be moping floors or doing something just to feed herself. She wanted to have her picture taken with me.

My new friend (wish we could get her smiling)

The other girl was 14. She led the music for the baptism, and upon talking to her we realized that she played the piano a little and wants to learn more. Hopefully we will be able to come out here and give her some lessons. She was so excited. She speaks English fairly well, so between her English and my Spanish I told her that the church needs her musical ability, and that it would be a blessing to her and the church her whole life.

Wayne had one little boy that just latched onto him. When we left, he insisted on having his picture taken SOLO with Wayne. He was just adorable. Sister Gomez was so sorry that she had forgotten to bring candy for the children. She says that she usually tries to bring them some Snickers or something that they do not normally see.

Wayne and his buddy

We love visiting the members in the branches. Their love for the gospel is so genuine. They were so excited to bear their testimony after they had been baptized and to talk about the opportunity for their family to grow. Again I am counting my blessings.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I think that senior Sister missionary from Guatemala is so pretty. Amd she is just how I imagine a Lamanite woman would have looked. How great for them to be on a mission and to be having such great success.

Karisa & Tyler said...

I love hearing your stories and success! I just think what a great role-model you are for those young women too. I hope you are able to get the one girl more involved in piano so she can bless those around her as you have! Carry on with the work and keep updating for us please. Love you!