Last week we were able to participate for the first time in a mission activity known as HOUSE CHECKS. This is an activity dreaded by many missionaries. It is when someone from the office (usually the President, his wife, or designee) comes to an apartment and announces that they are there to inspect the house and make sure that things are clean, sanitary and just plain picked up.
We had the responsibility to act as the designee house checker and check four or five apartments.
I wasn't sure what we would find...remember these are late teen-early twenty year olds who are living the same life everyday...things can get pretty routine. I was afraid that we would find some awful things. I was pleasantly surprised by what we found. For the most part, toilets were scrubbed, beds were made, food was in containers and clothes were picked up. Those that had problems needed a place to put their food or clothes. There was only one apartment that didn't pass inspection, and it was TERRIBLE...imagine it...we saw it. Wayne said he was glad that I didn't inspect the bathroom close on that one...I was too busy telling them to put food away.
I am happy to report that the Zone Leader called me Monday after P-day and reported that he had gone to reinspect (at our request) and that the apartment was clean.
Wayne had treats in the car, so everyone got cookies for their good checks...next time I think we will bring SNICKERS bars. We took pictures and have decided to do a power point presentation for Zone Conferences. That was a fun day.

No comments:
Post a Comment