I guess that we have mentioned how amazing the people here are with their singing in the meetings. It is unbelievable how fervent their worship is through song. They sing each song in full voice, usually acapella. I feel like sometimes I am hindering them when I play the piano for them.
Today was our third testimony meeting in Honduras. It is an even more unbelievable phenomenon. I have never seen anything like these testimony meetings. It doesn't matter if you are attending a large ward or a small branch. Everyone bears their testimony. Today we were visiting a small branch in Guaymaca. It is about 1 1/2 hours from the city. There were probably 50 total people in attendance. Wayne and I had decided to be prepared, just in case there was a lapse in the meeting. He remembers how awkward that was when he was Bishop, and he wanted us to be prepared just in case.
Well.....when the testimony meeting time came, the people just kept on going to the stand....the first one was a young girl about six years old. There was not a break the entire meeting. One of the young boys that has attached himself to Wayne was sitting by us, and told me that we (he and I) were going to go and bear our testimony. I knew I had to...you can't tell a young boy NO...so he and I went to the stand. I actually got through it. (I have no idea exactly what I said, but noone laughed).
And we were worried about a lull in the meeting. It was the same way last month when we attended one of the wards in the city. People sat on the stand for 30 minutes to get their turn...entire families. I truly believe that we can learn something from their example. We need to bear testimony often and truly testify about the gospel. Watch your meeting this next month and see what happens...If there is a lull, take care of it!
We were so pleased today with our two missionaries in Guaymaca. Elder Gomez and Elder Gomez (not a typo) are there. They had 4 investigators at church today, and one new member who was baptized just yesterday. What a spirit they bring into the branch. They taught the Gospel Essentials class on the Plan of Salvation. After the meeting block, we went to their house to chart on our map where it is. We did a surprise house check...and they passed with flying colors. They got Snickers to break their fast with this afternoon.
We enjoy our time with the Saints each Sunday. They truly make this experience rewarding. We are beginning to recognize members and are learning where the different buildings are.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Elder Tomkinson,
This is Britt Nielsen, writing for Dr Roger Russell. I am working for him here in Utah. He wanted me to tell you that he is jealous of you and proud of the work you and your wife are doing. :)
Yesterday was our testimony meeting too. Unfortunately there were several "lulls" and it made me feel sad that we did not have a greater desire to bear testimony to one another. I didn't do my part and stand and bear testimony. I do it so often and I feel that people tire of hearing from me but after your comments I am going to do better to do my part. Missed opporutunities to publicly give our witness of what we know to be true! What examples these people you are serving are to us. Oh the things we take for granted! I am so glad that you are having the experiences you are and that you are teaching us through your words how we can more be the people God wants us to be! I love hearing about all that is going on!
Love you,
Kendi
Please don't publish.
I love the challenge you gave to fill the "lulls" in testimony meeting if there are any. I love hearing how much the wards love singing as well. I would love to be there and experience it with you. ;) Love you both!
Post a Comment