We got up early this morning (leaving the house by 4:30) to take missionaries to the airport. We have 13 missionaries going home this week. Several of the missionaries that left today have found a soft spot in our hearts. We have gotten to know them from mission experiences, visiting their wards, at the dental school, or in the office. They are an exceptional group of missionaries. The group of eleven this morning included three hermanas...one from Columbia, one from Guatemala and one from Ecuador.
These missionaries were so excited and ready to go home. After paying their exit tax (necessary to leave Honduras), we were able to visit with them for a little while. We gave them each a Snickers bar in case they got hungry on the plane, and watched them leave. We felt almost like parents.
About 3 hours later, we were back at the airport. This time we were waiting for new missionaries. We have 16 coming in this week. It was so fun to be at the airport. On the same flight were 4-5 missionaries returning home to Honduras. All of the emotions of waiting for our missionary to return came back. Those families were so excited. After greeting their returning sons, the missionaries went to a training meeting for about a day and a half. They learn all about employment opportunities, the PEF, and life skills that will help them continue the path that they have started.
We took the missionaries back to the office where they were fed (surprise) and then started learning about the mission. We took two to the mall to get new glasses this afternoon...and tomorrow we are helping with their training. I am giving the Health lecture and Wayne is doing the Security one.
Our three elders from the States haven't arrived yet. There was a mix-up with their flights, and they are arriving in San Pedro Sula this evening, spending the night with the Mission President there and then taking a 4 hour bus ride to Tegucigalpa tomorrow morning. We are anxious for them to arrive. Thursday morning we say goodbye to Elder Nicolosi and Elder Chambers. They are working up until the last minute. Elder Chambers is the missionary that we took the picture of with holes in his shoes. Elder Nicolosi is the AP that has helped us get adjusted so much to Honduras. We will miss both of them. Here is a picture of Elder Nicolosi having Elder Rodriguez call his family to verify that they had his itinerary. He didn't even talk to them!

5 comments:
Okay, you made me cry! I haven't had the experience of having my sons leave or return from a mission but it is a day that I am looking forward to. I anticipate the feeling I will feel welcoming them home and expect it to be like nothing else! Thanks for sharing such an awesome day with us!
I love the little hand giving his returning brother a hug. TOO cute! Looks like a busy day full of emotions. I love the smile on your mission president's face. His love of missionary work is seen on his face.
You have me in tears again. I still remember vividly what it is like to see elders coming home. I can't wait.
Hey - we finnaly got on and have caught up with your mission stuff. Why is the dental school closed? Wasn't that your mission - basically?? So much excitement to tell you. I've got to find your email. Lori & Brad in Tucson
What wonderful work you are doing. We miss you.You are in our prayers. Love The Lester Family
Post a Comment