Wednesday, March 4, 2009
RESIDENCIA FOR THE TOMKINSONS
Today we spent the better part of the day at MIGRATION for the Country of Honduras. This is a process that we need to go through so that we can be registered here as "residents" and not need to renew our visas every 60 days. Elder Sorensen spends much time at the office taking care of all of us and our passports and keeping track of who needs to go where when for our legal status in the country.
We first showed up at Migration about 9:30 this morning. One of the members that we have met, Gloria, works there and takes really good care of all the missionaries. Between the two missions here in Tegucigalpa this week alone they processed over 30 missionaries in person...not to mention all the ones that are processed without the missionary present. This was the first (and only) time that we need to actually be present. We were about the third people in line.
This place makes the DMV look like the fast track....and today their computer system was down. They processed Elder Tomkinson's information nine times and then would take his picture. Each time they took the picture...everything would erase. This went on for awhile and then they said to come back at 1:00 pm and things should be working. Elder Sorensen was smart enough to verify that we would be first in line at 1:00.
We got back about 1:30 and only had to wait about an hour and we were all done. We were fingerprinted (a first) and even visited with the other people in line. I teased some of the other missionaries with us that we should hand out brochures and start discussions, and then maybe they would take care of us faster.
Those of you who know me well will be surprised to know that I did pretty well with this. I am not known for waiting in line or things that don't run smoothly. I told Elder Sorensen that I probably would have used to stand up and say "Would you like me to run this for you?"....but I was calm, cool and collected. The mission is teaching me things that I never thought I would learn.
Labels:
Honduras,
Mission Experiences
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Just taking an intermission from 24 :) Elder Sorensen looks about 15. Cute missionary.
What an ordeal. Glad it's over with for your sake.
Way to go to stay calm mom. I think I get my "calmness" and patience in those categories from you. :) I don't think I would have handled it as well as you. So, way to go!
Post a Comment