Sunday, September 14, 2008

NEWS FLASH....ELDER TOMKINSON IS A MUSICIAN!!!


Hermanas de la Cruz, Barrios y Julio

Just wanted to update you after our morning at church. We had a great day at the La Pena chapel. It is a building in the middle of a very old area of town. The ward we went to today had three Elders and three Sisters there. When we got to church, the bishop had just informed the missionaries that they were going to be the speakers today. So Hermana Julio and Elders Nicolosi, Waldron and Miskin were planning talks. They then decided that I would play the music for the meeting. They have one of those new electronic piano/organs that was fun to play. As the Bishop was starting the meeting and announcing the first hymn, he said that Elder "Tomson" would lead us in the music. I have never seen such a look on Wayne's face. He was totally in denial. Here we are waiting for me to start the introduction to the hymn, and he is just sitting there. I think he thought that if he ignored it, it would go away.

After what seemed to me an ETERNITY...Wayne walked up to the front, looked at me with HELP over his face, and just started beating in rhythm. We actually got through 4 songs for the meeting. I think that President Gibson needs to know that he has a new Stake Choir director on his hands!


Elders leaving the La Pena building after
Zone Conference

We wanted to show you where the church building is. The pictures were taken the other day after our Zone Conference. The elders are going down the street next to the building. The fence on the right is actually the church grounds. They were so excited...they were going to go tracting in the area.

5 comments:

Karen aka Zookeeper said...

Loving the security wire on top of the neighboring buildings...is that normal? Or is the church building not in a safe area? What amazing experiences you two are having!!! I know you'll be "thinking" Spanish in no time :) Keep up the good work. You have no idea how your service is blessing those of us at home (especially the testimonies of your old ward members). You two are awesome! Love, Karen & Charlie Beals P.S. Maybe I'll comment in espanol next time!!

Kim said...

I heard Motab was looking for a new assistant music director... Too bad the deadline is October 1. Maybe they'll have another opening when Dad T comes home.

Trisha said...

I am SO impressed dad. I'm sure mom was laughing inside, but way to step up to the challenge! Maybe we should have some music lesson for FHE when you get back to the states. Until then...good luck!

Heather said...

Love all of your pictures and updates. I love hearing about the humility of those outside our communities. I am so proud of you both for serving the Lord as missionaries. You will have that language down before you know it (it took me 6 months). Keep asking the Lord for that blessing.

Lisa said...

Wow. I was blog hopping and found yours! I don't know if you remember me from CG...it's been a while. Anyway, I loved reading your posts and it is wonderful to hear all about your mission. Big hugs! Lisa Trujillo Evans