Saturday, December 26, 2009

AMAZING TEXTILES

Our missionary group touring the museum

One of our favorite places is quickly becoming the Textile Museum in Antigua. This place is absolutely amazing. It has a great collections of the different clothing worn by the native people of Guatemala. Those who really know their "stuff" can tell you where someone is from by the specific style of dress that they wear.

Elder Tomkinson visiting with one of the weavers

It is quite an art....and the women start learning the stitch patterns when they are about 10 years old. It is a rite of passage. One piece that we saw took over 6 months to complete. It was flowers completely done by hand and was priced at over $1000! It was beautiful and was indeed a work of art.
What a beautiful smile....look at her weaving
and notice the cell phone...everyone has them!

I am collecting pillows made out of different patterns. I think it is a great way to bring home Guatemala to Arizona.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Why are you up at 4 in the morning? That weaving/sewing looks so fascinating. I would love to spend a day watching them.

I think the Guatemalan people are so beautiful.