Monday, February 9, 2009

WISH I HAD A PICTURE.....

A couple of things have happened these past few days that I really wish that I had pictures of. First was Sunday. Wayne gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting. He spoke on the Conference Talk by Elder Perry about living a simple life. This was a hard topic for him because these people already live such a simple life. He used scriptures to relate each of the basic needs to spiritual needs. He did a great job and spoke over 15 minutes. He practiced for two weeks so that he wouldn't stumble over the words. It was great. All of the talks for sacrament meeting in our ward are assigned talks from General Conference or the Liahona.

Sunday afternoon we went to our first lesson at an investigator's home in our ward. The hermanas had an appointment to teach and we went with them because his "spouse" wasn't home. It was such a great experience for us. We were so humbled by the home and surroundings. The lesson was on the "Gospel of Jesus Christ" (lesson 3) and the hermanas did a great job. We each bore our testimony of the gospel. He is ready to commit to baptism but needs to get married first. We have found that this is the biggest barrier that we have for baptisms here.

The last experience was today...although I wasn't there to witness it....Wayne had taken three missionaries to the mall to have eye exams. This is one of the routine things we do each Monday. At the store there was a man who couldn't speak Spanish and needed a translator. The people in the store asked Wayne to translate for them!!! He did a great job (things got accomplished)...

Wish I had a picture of these events.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I was thinking about Dad T on Sunday and was sure he would do a great job with his talk. He reminds me of the scripture, "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear."

Trisha said...

Way to go dad! I can't believe that you were a translator for someone else. (Cade enjoyed talking to you last night. He really wanted to see you on the computer! You couldn't see him but he was pushing all of the girls out of the way so that he could get really close to the screen.)

Karisa Tomkinson said...

Wow! Sounds like you both really have come so far in the language! How wonderful! I'm so grateful for your missionary experiences and for you sharing them. It makes it easier to be a missionary to those around me here. Thank you and love you!