Saturday, December 27, 2008

FIXING A TIRE


I know that this isn't a very holiday-like blog, but it is one of the many firsts that we have accomplished in Honduras. For several weeks now the front tire of the car that we are driving has had a slow leak. Every time we get gas, Hector (our favorite gas station attendant) would put more air in it. Wayne even purchased a compressor to have in the car in case there was a problem that immediately needed to be taken care of.

Elder Tomkinson explaining the tire repair problem

This week the tire problem became the problem that needed to be taken care of. The AP's told us where the "tire fixing place" was. We bravely decided that this was something that we could take care of ourselves...how hard could it be? We found the place...it really did fix tires. Wayne did great with his Spanish letting the tech know what we needed. I took pictures to document the whole event. The other techs were laughing at me taking pictures until I told them to smile and I would take one of them!!! So I did.

The other tire techs

Ten minutes and about 20 limps (about $1 US) later we had an almost new tire....and a renewed confidence that we really can live in this foreign country....

2 comments:

Kim said...

Love the wires hanging everywhere, and the car pictures. You've got to have decorations to make sure your customers know what type of place they're at :)

dntbaker said...

you can survive Honduras..if i could do it than anyone can. i remember that place infact. you know what was hard for me was surviving the states after living in honduras for 18 months.. i was in shock! we have it so easy here.