Sunday, July 20, 2008

DEJA VU....With a lesson

This morning was a typical Sunday morning with a family of 6 children. President and Sister Gomez have 6 children with them ranging from 18 months to 16 years old. They are a beautiful family. This morning I had the opportunity to go to church with Sister Gomez and the children. She had quite a morning getting everyone ready on time to be at church by 9:00 am. The children were giving her such a hard time and they really were not cooperating (we have all been through that). In fact, it took me back so many years when I would struggle with 6 children by myself at church.

Things just weren't getting done...Leandro wouldn't put on his tie or shoes and everyone was getting more and more agitated. It was 10 minutes until church started. Finally Sister Gomez told the kids it was time to go. Then she did something amazing...she did not run to the car, or command them to get it....she merely gathered them all together and offered a prayer. She prayed that they would enjoy church and that they would feel the spirit today. She prayed that their dad and Elder Tomkinson would return safely from their journeys this afternoon. Then she got them in the car calmly and went to church. She knew she was late, and that was okay. Leaving the house with a prayer was more important than getting there on time. What an example for us all.
Hermana Gomez with her six children
(The baby was born in the mission field)

Church was wonderful. I can't believe that I will be in Spanish speaking sacrament meetings for the next year and a half. I really understood a lot more than I thought that I would. There was a high council speaker who had a prepared talk. The Bishop said a few words. Sunday School was about Korihor and Alma. Thank goodness the maestra didn't call on me to read a versiculo. But, I followed along in my libro de mormon and looked at my Book of Mormon when I needed to. Relief Society was about hope and consolation when we face the death of loved ones. I learned that hope is esperanza. DAH....didn't we used to have an Esperanza Center is Casa Grande? I even spoke to a few of the sisters afterwards, and hope that I didn't look too stupid. There were four missionaries there, but I didn't speak to them very long. I felt kind of dumb. Wayne is so much better at that.

The people here are beautiful. Things are really more laid-back, but that is something that I think that I can get used to very quickly. I noticed that everyone brought their own Himnos...so it is a good thing that Wayne and I bought little ones. They will now be with me everywhere. (I forgot it this morning).

I am anxious to see how Wayne did on his first talk in Spanish. He accompanied President Gomez this morning to install a new Branch President. I just hope that he leaves President some time. You know Wayne. Tomorrow we will be looking at moving into our new apartment. The AP's have been wonderful helping us. We will need to furnish the entire apartment, but hopefully there are some things that are not being used in the mission, and we won't have to get too many things....where is all that camping equipment when I need it?????

5 comments:

Kendi said...

It is so good to hear your stories. It made me smile to think of this global church...we studied the exact same lessons this past Sunday...I actually was the teacher in Sunday School, which was pretty scary but I made it through alright. I'm sure it doesn't come close to what you are going through as you find your way learning a new language. Just remember, YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!!! We love you!
Kendi

Kim said...

I was thinking about Sister Gomez this morning. I am sure you are an answer to her prayers. She's probably been really overloaded being a mom and trying to work on mission office stuff without any senior couples to help out.

I'm sure you will make a huge difference in their lives. We're so happy to share you with them.

The returned missionary who spoke with the high councilor in our ward on Sunday served in Honduras. We didn't get a chance to talk to her though.

Heather said...

No fair. It took me 6 months before I could understand anything...and as long before people understood me! Way to Spanish it!

Trisha said...

I'm glad that EVERYWHERE in the church is the same...crazy kids getting ready for church, moms struggling on the bench...etc. I will have to remember the prayer before church. That's a great idea!
Speaking of camping equipment...Tell dad that we will put some of his camping equipment to use next week. We are going camping with the Riggs (plus one extra "child" Alissa.) She's been fun to have around more!

darcy damstedt said...

What a great story, very humbling to think about all the times I have gone to church yelling because things weren't going just perfect. Too bad you didn't go on your mission about 25 years ago so I could have been a better mother.