This year we were able to experience Semana Santa or Holy Week. This is the week before Easter which includes everything from Palm Sunday through Easter. It was the first time that we were able to view this from a Catholic based country. This is a very holy week for them....and we were warned that things begin to shut down on Wednesday at noon. Good Friday is the main event because it is the day that Christ died on the cross.
There are usually cars everywhere and vendors all over the street
Friday we went with Elder and Hermana Adams from the Tegucigalpa mission to see the sawdust displays. These are murals that are made of sawdust that depict the life of Christ. They have beautiful scenes from His life, scriptures and beautiful flower displays all made out of sawdust. Many of the cities in Honduras do these. They line a street near the Catholic Church with them. After services in the Church, the people take the cross out in the street and then walk through the sawdust displays in procession down the street depicting Christ carrying His cross through the streets.
As we looked at the displays we stopped at one that was so familiar to us. It was the scene depicting Christ ordaining His Apostles. After a minute, we realized that it was the mural that the kids from the Institute did for the event. It was amazing. We had a great day at the event.
It was a different way to celebrate Easter....we are used to having the traditional day of celebration on Sunday. But when we went to Church on Sunday we felt the spirit of the resurrection and the celebration of Eternal Life.

3 comments:
Wow, that chalk dust art is amazing. I can't believe how empty the streets are.
I was in Guatemala last year for the same event. It was truly spectacular. The Guatemalans also use fresh flowers. I was thrilled to see the 'Institute' involved in this. I'm so glad you were able to see this. We've asked Elder Mears if he has seen any of these events but somehow I never get an answer. It's been awhile since I checked your blog so thank you.
Wendy Mears
The chalk dust is amazing,the work you are doing is also amazing..Love Kathi
Post a Comment